Top food blogs

Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Graffskiye razvalini"-(Duke's ruins)


I couldn't find the information about, from where this recipe is originated, but I can surely tell that, it is very popular and very favorite cake among Uzbek people. I am posting it by request of my readers:) I cooked this cake a long time ago, I was sure that I had photos with the cooking process, but it is so pity I couldn't find them:( Thanks God, I have the main photo, with a ready cake:)
The base of "Graffskiye razvalini" can be made of fluffy sponge cake or with a meringue. If you want it to be more crunchy and light, you have to choose meringue base. I prefer to make it with a sponge cake.
Small meringues on top, can be plain white as well as light brown, using a little cocoa powder. I used bigger baking pan, so, my fluffy base is thinner and "ruins" are not so high. If you will use smaller pan for baking, you will get higher cake. Mine was 10 inch round cake pan.
Ingredients:
If you want to make meringue base:
3 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
A pinch of lemon acid
For regular sponge cake:
6 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of plain flour
Syrup for sponge cake:
1 tbsp of sugar completely dissolved in 150 ml of water+a pinch of vanilla(vanilla is optional)
For small meringues:
3 egg whites
1 cup of sugar
A pinch of lemon acid
1 tsp of cocoa powder (optional)
For cream:
1 can (400 gr)of condensed milk
400 ml of whipping cream
200 grams of soft cream cheese (optional)
Pinch of vanilla powder
For topping:
200 grams of chocolate
For meringue base, beat up egg whites until stiff peaks. Add in sugar in 3 approaches and whisk for 3-4 min more. At the end, add in lemon acid and whisk for 10 seconds. Pour this mixture in to baking pan, layered with a parchment paper and cook in preheated oven, at a lowest temperature, for a longer time. My teacher used to say "don't bake your meringues, DRY them". And the important secret is - don't change the temperature in the oven. If you have fan oven, that would be perfect for cooking meringue base. Usually it takes 5!!! hours.
Small meringues are made in the same way, but, you have to pipe or spoon small portions onto baking tray, layered with parchment paper and bake for shorter time. (About 1.5-2 hours). If you want to add in cocoa powder, it should be added at the end, along with lemon acid. I use my pastry bag, with a medium sized "star" former, to shape my small meringues.
For sponge cake:
Whip egg whites until stiff peaks, add in sugar in 3 portions and whisk for another 1-2 min. Add in egg yolks, one by one and mix carefully. Now, add in flour and again mix carefully. Pour cake batter in baking pan, layered with baking paper and put in to the cold oven. Bake for 40 min in medium heat. Baking time can vary, as ovens are different. I baked mine for 1,5 hour:) (My oven is just a disaster!!!)Just check up with a wooden stick. If it will come out clean when inserted, than cake is ready. Take out and let it cool completely. Peel of baking paper, cut the cake in two halves and set aside.
Beat up cream, when it will just to start to thicken,gradually add in condensed milk and beat until thick and smooth. At the end, add in cream cheese and vanilla, beat for 1 min more. Don't over beat the cream! You can skip cream cheese, but I like it's taste and that's my favorite cream:)
To assembly the cake, put one piece of sponge cake on a big flat tray, sprinkle with a syrup and evenly spread cream over the top. Put on the second half and spread more cream on top. Now, start placing small meringues on top of the cake. For that, just spread some cream at the bottom of meringue and stick it to the cake. You can arrange your meringues to your taste, but usually it is done as in attached photo. When you done with meringues, fill the spaces with a cream. Also decorate the sides of the sponge cake.
Melt chocolate on a double boiler and immediately pour over the cake. Cake also can be sprinkled with some coconut powder.
Although, the recipe is long and it seems to be quiet difficult, preparing is easy and fun. It just takes a little time:) I am sure, that you will love the result! Enjoy your gorgeous and heavenly tasty cake!!!
Yoqimli ishtaha!!!

6 comments:

  1. I made this cake last week , it was the best, everybody loved it. Thank you Malika for posting this recipe, I'm going to try some more recipes from your site..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those dumplings at the top of the page? They look delicious and i hope you have a recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are "Somsa" s, I have a lot of variety of recipes here, you can check them out:)

      Delete
  3. This looks really good! Thank you for posting, I've been trying to find my mum's recipe with no luck. I will try this this week! Xx

    ReplyDelete